S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?

Old 09-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?

I'm not really sure which forum this should be in, but I would rather not post it at all if it is going to be in S2000 Talk...

I have a ~2300 lbs boat on a regular boat trailer (probably ~500 lbs), and I want to use my S2000 to put it in and out of the water. I am totally confident that the S2000 would be able to pull the boat from my storage lot to the boat ramp (about 1 mile on a slow, smooth road), and I'm sure it has enough power to pull it up the ramp. The only thing I'm not sure about is the hitch mounts while pulling it up the ramp. Does anyone have any idea how much force it would take to sheer the bumper mounts?

Before you guys start flaming me about what the manual says and what the car was designed for ... I don't care! The tongue weight is FAR less than I have put on this hitch with my Tiretail, and the stress on the drivetrain is only as great as the amount of force generated by the engine. The only thing I am concerned about is ripping the bumper off while going up a ~20 degree incline. It only takes ~20% throttle to pull the boat up the ramp in my wife's TL, and it isn't designed to pull a trailer either. I am sure the TL is going to be much easier, since it has an automatic transmission and more torque, but I do have 4.77s in the S2000. Actually, both of our cars have Class I hitches. The only difference is where the hitches are attached to the cars.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Oops! I meant to post this in Under The Hood. If it can't be moved out of S2000 Talk, please delete it.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darwin award!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:42 AM

double
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for confirming my reasoning why I didn't want this in S2000 Talk...
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 AM

Don't be so hard on the man.
I use my S to haul manure around the farm and to hunt with in the fall. It is so small it floats over the tractor ruts in the fields and has plenty of torque to pull out the assorted carci of the game I kill.....
Old 09-01-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by anarky,Sep 1 2004, 09:47 AM
Don't be so hard on the man.
I use my S to haul manure around the farm and to hunt with in the fall. It is so small it floats over the tractor ruts in the fields and has plenty of torque to pull out the assorted carci of the game I kill.....
Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gernby,Sep 1 2004, 09:30 AM
I'm not really sure which forum this should be in, but I would rather not post it at all if it is going to be in S2000 Talk...

I have a ~2300 lbs boat on a regular boat trailer (probably ~500 lbs), and I want to use my S2000 to put it in and out of the water. I am totally confident that the S2000 would be able to pull the boat from my storage lot to the boat ramp (about 1 mile on a slow, smooth road), and I'm sure it has enough power to pull it up the ramp. The only thing I'm not sure about is the hitch mounts while pulling it up the ramp. Does anyone have any idea how much force it would take to sheer the bumper mounts?

Before you guys start flaming me about what the manual says and what the car was designed for ... I don't care! The tongue weight is FAR less than I have put on this hitch with my Tiretail, and the stress on the drivetrain is only as great as the amount of force generated by the engine. The only thing I am concerned about is ripping the bumper off while going up a ~20 degree incline. It only takes ~20% throttle to pull the boat up the ramp in my wife's TL, and it isn't designed to pull a trailer either. I am sure the TL is going to be much easier, since it has an automatic transmission and more torque, but I do have 4.77s in the S2000. Actually, both of our cars have Class I hitches. The only difference is where the hitches are attached to the cars.
The question could only be answered by someone who yanked on the bumper mounts till they sheared off while measuring this. I don't imagine you will have much luck finding this individual here. If your sure that your car and drivetrain can handle it than no big deal (other than the bumper/incline clearence issue). Personally, I would get a pick up truck as a third car if I owned a boat. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Editorial comment about S2000 Talk ...

It is so pointless to post a serious question amongst all the stupid threads about which color to choose for a new S2000, or whether the S2000 is better than a XXX. What a waste of bandwidth.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, I'll admit I thought about being an a-hole and a jerk to you on this, but I decided to give you a real answer.

1. The Boat and trailer are beyond the rating of a Class I hitch.
2. The S2000 is not designed to tow anything.

I am sure you know these things, but I wanted to reiterate them. Shearing off the bolts or the bumper mounts is a possibility, but you should seriously look at what it will do to the frame if it DOESN'T shear off. It will torque and twist the frame up into a knot.

There is a BIG difference between hauling a trailer on the highway and climbing hills with it as you already have momentum and inertia on your side, but when pulling a trailler and boat out of water and up a steep boat launch ramp you will be lucky if your doors ever close again (let alone the fitment of the convertable top.)

I realize that the X-Bone frame is strong, and stronger than most convertables but, please, don't try to tow a boat with it.

Quick Reply: How much force can the rear bumper mounts take?